UNEARTHED BY REBECCA BLOOMER

Title: UnEarthed
Author: Rebecca Bloomer
Publisher: Odyssey Books
Rating: ★  ☆ ☆ 
"We are Martian. Your religion isn't ours. Our god is Mars. Our religion is science. Anything we do in the service of Mars, is good. Make no mistake, Earth girl, we are both right and good."
- Rebecca Bloomer, UnEarthed 
Within Anphobos, there grows a new race. The first generation of humans never to set foot on Earth. They are pale skinned, large eyed and worship no god but science. They possess technological skills and processes Earth has refused to acknowledge. Until now...
Fresh off Earth, Jodi Scarfield doesn't really care for Mars or its politics. Still, accusations of treason will get a girl's attention...
source: goodreads.com

Thank you Netgalley and Odyssey Books for providing me with a copy of this book!

After reading the description, I honestly didn't know what to expect from UnEarthed. Maybe aliens and Mars and other elements from space. I got that, but I'm still sad to stay that I'm dissapointed.

Rebecca Bloomer has a writing style that definitely needs some getting used to in the beginning. Although I was used to it in the end, I don't like it. I don't like her choice of words, her sentence structure. Especially her choice of words. In one chapter, I read the word "chuckled" too many times. It made it seem like she didn't use a wide horizon of verbs and did lazy writing.

I also felt like there could have been much story to this book than it has. The idea of Mars wanting to seperate themselves from Earth and rebels is a great subject to start from. I had not read something like this, which makes it original in a way, but where the story headed wasn't interesting. Acclimatization, politics and technology was logical and fitting, but not something to keep someone interested in a story. The slow pace didn't help much. In the end I was waiting around for something to happen. I didn't get the chance to connect with the characters either. They felt flat and unnatural, that they're just there to entertain.

Overall, I liked that the story had something that other books in the YA genre hadn't: the colonization of Mars and the natives wanting to be independent. That's just a small thing compared to all the things I did not like, those mentioned in the previous alinea. I just wished it had more of a plot and something going on than what it has now.


Aurélie Cremers is an eighteen-year-old living in Belgium. As an active member on Goodreads, Edelweiss and Amazon, she's always spreading her reviews to express her opinion and influences her followers to read the books she fairly enjoyed. When she's not writing, you can find her at her local bookstore or in a classroom. With her blog, "Exploring Pages", Aurélie hopes to gain a larger public in the near future and to continue that what she'll always love doing: writing.

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home