World After

Title: World After
Series: Penryn and the End of Days, #2
Author: Susan Ee
Publisher: Skyscape
Rating: 
"Come on, admit it, Pooky Bear, I say to the sword. "You love your new look. All the other swords will be jealous." 
- Penryn Young, World After
When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paiger, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.
Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to wich the angels are willing to go.
Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings, Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, wich will he choose?
Source: goodreads.com

Oh Susan Ee. You have done it again. Although.. I might have had some struggles.

For starters, I did not like how Angelfall ended up with Paige being who she has become. For that, I didn't like how World After started. Paige with her stiches and teeth, her attacks, etc. Her presence did not last very long, so I was happy again with her being gone. For some reason, in the end with her turning into a total badass, kicking and biting Beliel, my  dislike for that kid took a surprising turn. Maybe it already happend after the video scenes. Susan Ee has given that much development and depth to Paige's character so now I find her a total badass.

From page one and so on, I missed Raffe. I missed him more than any character in the world when being missing. He's that kind of character who's hilarious and extremely handsome, something I've learned to appreciate to the fullest. I haven't even talked about the Raffryn chemistry! Those two were a perfect ship in Angel. Now, in World After, one cannot ship one another if the other one is gone. You see where this alinea is heading?  The biggest struggle I had to endure in this book would have to be not having them together. I was constantly hoping for a reunion, and we didn't get that one until the very end. That is why I screamed and giggled way too much when there was a mention of him at the angel party. Fun and all, but way too late. In my opinion, Raffe could have returned to Penryn to help them escape Alcatraz. In general, he could have returned way sooner. I did mind the interesting plot and all, but I think it's very clear that Miss Penryn Young is not the character I love without him. A lack of humour and optimism were very noticable. The first time I actually laughed out loud was not the first Pooky Bear moment, but one of the last ones.
"Have you named her yet?" he asks. "She likes powerful names so maybe you could appease her by giving her a good one.
I bite my lip as I remember telling Dee-Dum what I named my sword. "Um, I could rename her anything she likes."
I give him a cheesy smile.
He looks like he's bracing himself for the worst. "She gets named once by each carrier. If you've named her, she's stuck with it as long as she's with you.
Damn.
He glares at me as if he already hates it. "What is it?"
I consider lying but what's the point? I clear my throat. "Pooky Bear."
I laughed so hard and reads those lines over and over again. Guys, that is what I like to call: my sense of humour.

In Angelfall you have Raffryn and their moments. In World After, Raffe's gone (like I said, *sniff*) and Penryn gets to see way more of the World After. How the current situation actually is after the angel apocalypse. Examples I liked very much were Alcatraz and just more of the labs in general. The parties and angel politics were also a nice addition to the world building. However, whilst some things were explained and finally made sense, others are getting intense. I like it how this book got me to like the story as much as the characters. Why Uriel has his trophy girls has not yet been explained. Maybe we'll never get an answer. I think I'm okay with that. Since  I am talking about his trophy girls, that scene has to be the best one out of the entire book. Elements from the 20's made it even more fabulous. But, Judgement Day? What is going on. Argh, so many questions!

I may have learned to like certain things, but there will always be that one thing you can't like, how hard you try. In my case, it has to be those damned locusts scorpion human angel things. I don't thing they match the angel apocalypse aspect at all, and I won't even consider learning to like them. I just don't.

So now I really look forward to the next books in this series. Let's hope that Susan never, ever splits Raffryn up again.


Aurélie Cremers is an eighteen-year-old living in Belgium. As an active member on Goodreads, Edelweiss and Amazon, she's always spreading her reviews to express her opinion and influences her followers to read the books she fairly enjoyed. When she's not writing, you can find her at her local bookstore or in a classroom. With her blog, "Exploring Pages", Aurélie hopes to gain a larger public in the near future and to continue that what she'll always love doing: writing.

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home