Review: Onyx

Onyx (Lux, #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published August 14th 2012 by Entangled Teen
Pages: 366

"Embarrassed someone would see you and think you're capable of reading?"
"I do have a reputation to maintain."
"And what a lovely reputation that is."
- Jennifer L. Armentrout, Onyx

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks...
Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon's determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I've sworn him off, even though he's running more hot than cold these days. But we've got bigger problems.
Something worse than the Arum has come to town...
The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I'm a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who's got a secret of his own. He knows what's happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.
But then everything changes...
I've seen someone who shouldn't be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he's never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them-from me?
No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies...

I hate to write about Onyx as a dissapointment. After finishing Obsidian, I knew at some point the Lux series was going to be one of my favourite series. Now I'm not so sure anymore.

I clearly mentioned in my review of Obsidian that the book has clear similarities with Twilight. That being said, what would the Lux series be without a Jacob Black? Yes, Blake, I'm looking at you. What started out as an opportunity for Katy to expand her horizons and meet new guys, ended in a love triangle. Normally I don't have much trouble with love triangles, but this one seemed to become the base of the story. I didn't like it, at all. I quickly lost interest and definitely had my moments of wanting to put it down. I also can't accept to believe of being the only one who got irritated after the tenth time Daemon came up with another nickname.

Don't think the romance ruined it for me, because it didn't. It is unbelievable how the second half of the book was so different from the first. So faced paced, I loved it! I smanaged to have my moments where I was completely freaking out, especially the ones where the DOD was involved. Although it took a while to get to the good part, I absolutely loved it. It met my predictions, yet it didn't become predictable at any time. The mystery that the author set up in the beginning really gets to play out. Almost every question we had while reading the previous book gets resolved in this one. God I love it so much.

Katy wasn't herself. She still was the sarcastic, fun girl I met in Obsidian, but there were times she acted out of character, for example pushing Daemon away even though she knows she loves him. Their conversations were not as fun as I remembered them, and there was no such thing as chemistry to be found. Daemon is doing such a good job with trying to show his love for her, and the only thing she does is pushing him away. She clearly didn't know what to do, which got on my nerves too many times as I preferred. It was only until very late into the book she was a badass again. Speaking of characters, where was Dee? I knew why she was absent most of the time, working on her relationship with Adam and all, but it could have done much if she and Katy had a moment every now and then. This is why I smiled a lot during their get-together. To round up the alinea: despite being the main reason for the love triangle, I actually really liked Blake. His first appearance immediately gave away the fact that the guy has to play a big part in this book. I loved how that part turned out to be. I was wondering what he might be, and then came to the conclusion that he was something I would have never expected. What I just didn't understand, why he had to be romantically involved with Katy.

I feel like an alien for having written a review of a book which a big part of the reading community adored. For some reason I know Opal's going to be a lot better, especially after the fantastic second part.

Aurélie Cremers is an eighteen-year-old living in Belgium. As an active member on Goodreads, Edelweiss and Amazon, she's always spreading her reviews to express her opinion and influences her followers to read the books she fairly enjoyed. When she's not writing, you can find her at her local bookstore or in a classroom. With her blog, "Exploring Pages", Aurélie hopes to gain a larger public in the near future and to continue that what she'll always love doing: writing.

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home