SHADOWS BY JENNIFER L. ARMENTROUT

Title: Shadows
Series: Lux, #0.5
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Rating: 
Daemon stomped past them, bumping into his brother's shoulder.
"You make my head hurt", he said, scowling. "And you make me all warm and fuzzy inside" 
- Jennifer L. Armentrout, Shadows
The Last thing Dawson Black expected was Bethany Williams. As a Luxen, an elien life form on Earth, human girls are... well, fun. But since the Luxen have to keep their true identities a secret, falling for one would be insane.
Bethany can't deny the immediate connection between her and Dawson. And even though boys aren't a complication she wants, she can't stay away from him. Still, whenever they lock eyes, she's drawn in.
Dawson is keeping a secret that will change her existence... and put her life in jeopardy. But even he can't stop risking everything for one human girl. Or from a fate that is unavoiable as love itself.

Shadows will be the only love story with love at first sight that I loved. How dangerous the romance between Dawson and Bethany may have been, I am a fan. I may even have shipped the two if I hadn't known about their fates.

It was hard in the beginning to get used to the sudden change of the point of view. I would have prefered it being told in the first person present tense, as it was in Obsidian. I don't know why this change was made, because it would have made the transition from the one book to another To talk about the difference between the two, Shadows reminded me to Obsidian in the way of the same direction of the plot. Boy meet girl, something happens where the boy has to tell who he is. At times it felt like Katy's and Daemon's story, only in their case it was insta-hate instead of insta-love. It was the most obvious reason of not finishing it as quick as I though I would. The other issue is the much slower pace, with more focus on the development of Bethany's and Dawson's relationship. Their sweet, sweet relationship.

The story itself gave much more depth to Daemon's character and choices in Obsidian. Why he had such an instant hatred towards Katy. I wish I'd read this story before Obisidian. Like that I think I would have enjoyed the first novel a lot more. It may have been mentioned in it, but it didn't made my opnion about Daemon change. After reading Shadows, I think it did, just a little bit. He still acted like a jerk, let me make this clear. On the other hand, we get to see Dawson's story with Bethany, something Daemon never wanted to have. Then Katy comes into his life. I understand why he was so overprotective of Dee, she indeed is the only family he has left.

Because we all read Obsidian, we knew what would happen, where this story would lead us to. We wanted to do something about it, prevent it from happening. I actually thought we were going to have an ending in the style of Romeo and Juliet because of what happened to Bethany near the end. Don't know if I would have liked it better that way. It did create a gasp-moment and progress everything that happened. Because of that, I'm happy with the author not giving away details about their story. It kept me interested to see how the story would end.

New characters were introduced in this novella, as we all expected from reading the description. Dawson is the typical guy to fall for, kind of the opposite of his twin brother. Bethany is not Katy, we all know that. She's more your typical kind of girl, rather boring. I didn't connect with her as much as I did with Dawson. The two of them together created some chemistry to remember. Their romance was nice and sweet, like a fairy tale in the real world. There were never aguments. They were that couple to be destined to be together forever, until fate decided to throw in a plot twist. Now I'm actually waiting for something to happen in the next books of the Lux series, involving the two of them. One could have so much story by creating something that leaves you hanging. Dee and Daemon never got to see them, maybe that's a clue in the direction I want the story to head.

I'm definitely picking up Onyx very soon because I want to see if my expected plot twist will play out!




Aurélie Cremers is an eighteen-year-old living in Belgium. As an active member on Goodreads, Edelweiss and Amazon, she's always spreading her reviews to express her opinion and influences her followers to read the books she fairly enjoyed. When she's not writing, you can find her at her local bookstore or in a classroom. With her blog, "Exploring Pages", Aurélie hopes to gain a larger public in the near future and to continue that what she'll always love doing: writing.

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home