Review: The Last Stand of the New York Institute by Cassandra Clare

The Last Stand of the New York Institute (The Bane Chronicles, #9) by Cassandra Clare
Published: December 17th 2013 by Margaret K. McElderry Books
Pages: 40

Magnus meets Valentine in battle as the Circle attacks the Downworlders of New York City.

In time of the Uprising, Valentine's Circle goes after Downworlders in New York...and the Shadowhunters of the Institute must decide whether to join him, or fight with Magnus and his kind. This is the first time Magnus sees Jocelyn, Luke, and Stephen--but not the last. It is not long before Jocelyn seeks him out...
"Valentine clasped Lucian's arm in return, but Magnus saw the look Valentine gave Lucian. There was love in that look, but hate as well, and the hate was winning."
This last Bane Chronicles novella but one completely messed with my emotions. The involvement of particular characters I won't say the name of, brought me to tears. It has been so long but just reading the names themselves bring back all the memories and made me enjoy this novella so much more. Despite it not being anything new, I loved that it played out before my own eyes. New friendships were forged and new promises were made. If for that part only I think I would have gladly given it five stars.

For a moment I forgot the first half of what I'd read, which was a slight disappointment for me. I have always been fascinated by Valentine's Circle, their ideas, why they thought their actions were justice, their behaviour in their teenage years, etc. I have always loved the chance of getting to gain more insight on all those topics, and in general just see more of The Circle itself. Upon reading The Last Stand of the New York Institute, I was prepared to learn more and be blown away. Little did I then knew that new information in this novella was going to be close to nothing. I honestly didn't care for the werewolf child and the discussion between Lucian and Valentine, as we've seen that many times before. The actual Uprising itself fell short and was very rushed in my opinion. When there could have been an entire novella dedicated to things we hadn't seen before, to me it felt like I hadn't learned anything new. Though it now sounds like I'm extremely disappointed, I'm not. I still liked what I've read, but it could have been better.


Aurélie Cremers is an eighteen-year-old living in Belgium. As an active member on Goodreads, Edelweiss and Amazon, she's always spreading her reviews to express her opinion and influences her followers to read the books she fairly enjoyed. When she's not writing, you can find her at her local bookstore or in a classroom. With her blog, "Exploring Pages", Aurélie hopes to gain a larger public in the near future and to continue that what she'll always love doing: writing.

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home